Review: Portraits of Past - 01010101

Took me quite a while to write this, but not because it was long, but because during the process I pretty much scrapped three longer drafts about my writing towards this album since I wasn't able to write cohesively. It was frustrating of course, and to make matters worse I'm not sure what it is to blame here. After constant revaluations whether I should continue, I decided it's worth investing more of my time to do so because it feels kinda wrong not telling the place what I feel towards this album as a whole even though I didn't put a catchy title for more clicks but whatever.

Screamo (or skramz, whichever you prefer to call it but I dislike the latter term) is something I'm not quite well-versed to, but after I encountered Portraits of Past my interest towards the genre grows exponentially. But let me just get straight to the point, currently I'm listening to this album a lot and being gaga over it, and I'm slowly beginning to think this is probably one of the greatest things I've listened to, that or because it's one of the few things I'm being able to relate to completely for quite some time.

The emotion being displayed in 01010101 was quite clear: it was extremely grim for the lack of a better word, but it was also immensely gorgeous. Namely, Portraits of Past had their songwriting on target, it barely had any flaws that detract the quality of the album to the point all of the songs here were able to bring a great deal of astonishment, which is generally and obviously a hard thing to accomplish. To say that Portraits of Past isn't grim enough is kinda wrong, because songs like the completely bleak sounding Bang Yer Head or its follow-up The Control Freak is a testament that the band adhered the rule of thumb on putting emotion as the first thing on the pedestal, like their lives depends on it. Sure, plastering words like 'emotional' on a genre like screamo isn't saying much, but at times it can be indeed genuine, and this one isn't an exception.

Interestingly, the thing about Portraits of Past being wholly emotional was not because of their vocals themselves: that honour goes to the instrumentational work. This isn't to say the howled vocals were bad, but instrumentally speaking this album was able to scream a plethora of moods ranging from melancholia to fits of rage more so than the actual vocals. It's dynamically powerful; alternating by building and releasing tension effortlessly from the guitars by playing soft, intricate playing to being loud and harsh, in the end making the album not entirely dull throughout. It's exciting, because everytime the guitars go blaring it was like a ton of bricks came down and crashing onto you while the softer parts are a total bliss to listen to, and it's safe to assume Portraits of Past knew what they were doing at this point since it was executed brilliantly.

Furthermore, the flow of the album was quite perfect. From point A to point Z the listening experience wasn't even a drag at all, in fact everytime I listened to it doesn't even feel like 30 minutes passed by. If anything it felt blazed through instead like it was nothing, and I can only imagine Portraits went all out in the songwriting department by writing and recording extensively just to get things right. It's very cohesive, and to think that Portraits were one of the earliest groups to play under the screamo banner (long before the term exists, I believe), and not to mention, their music was able to stood out amongst their contemporaries including their modern-day brethren are most impressive.

"Something Less Than Intended" acted as the final closure for the album. Like most bands would do, ending an album with a bang is needed, and Portraits does indeed end their album with a bang. The energy they accumulated throughout were now being focused solely on the song, filling it with dissonant and crescendo-esque riffing. The idea of listening to your favourite band loud is always a cliché one, but Portraits of Past deserved to be played loud, and in my experience when this song popped up through my stereo with unnecessary high volume for the first time it amped up my emotional intake of this album to the max, resulting me to play the album entirely for like four times in a row once without taking any fucking breaks whatsoever.

Funny, because back then when I first started out listening to screamo I always thought this album isn't that impressive. Although binging hard to an another different band pretty much clouded my mind during that time, but now I firmly believe Portraits of Past are possibly one of the greatest bands screamo has to offer, though the tremendous amount of misunderstanding towards the term that made people to think that screamo is mainly associated with scene bands nowadays pretty much diminished any chance of Portraits (or any proper screamo for that matter) getting further recognition today, which I found depressing.

If you're reading this far it's obvious I'm going to say 1010101 is an amazing album, but now that I think about it, the word 'amazing' is kinda an understatement for a near-masterpiece such as this. Portraits of Past definitely had that x-factor where everything is musically possible for them, but their unfortunate disbandment hindered their possibility of showing any great potential in the future (though, they released an EP like in 2009, but aside from that there’s no news about them). Fans of Funeral Diner or any screamo that's in the vein of being post-rockish will definitely like this album, and I'm saying this because one of the members of Portraits drummed with the aforementioned band right after the breakup, plus their similarity is quite close but still unique on their own right as well.

This is the soundtrack to be cynical with yourself or just facing illogical anxiety, or both, and in this case it's good because this album is cathartic, but not entirely suffocating.

Author's Note: According to Metal Amino this was review posted on December 13th 2018 under the title "Something Less Than Intended". Anyway, looking back now at this review it's kinda funny to see old me not knowing much about screamo. I didn't know a lot of bands and I wasn't aware that the genre is more or less big in the underground with thousands of bands releasing their demos and albums on Bandcamp and whatnot. My opinion on this album didn't change, however. I still believe this is one of the best albums the genre has to offer, and a lot of newer bands can take a lot of notes from them instead of straight up copying bands like Tristan Tzara or Envy. Nothing wrong with them, of course, but it's quite tiring to sieve through mediocre releases that are trying to sound like them just to find a genuinely good album with a lot of replay value.

Comments